- Issued By:Town of Blackstone
- Type:Sole Source (SS)
- Work Location: West Entrance Road, Blackstone VA
- Web Address:
- Pre-Bid Conference:
- Open Responses:
- Description:On December 5, 2020 at approximately 1:00 a power outage caused the Forest Drive Wastewater pump station to cease operating. A weather event caused the power to go out and exceptional rainfall in excess of 3” caused an overflow at the pump station. Once back on line the pump station force main which delivers the flow to a receiving sewer located at Fort Pickett catastrophically failed. This failure caused the entire flow from the pump station to discharge along the West Entrance Road right-of-way. The Town’s employees were able to stabilize the situation until 8:00 am, Monday, December 7, 2020. At which time I determined that the discharge could not wait until formal purchasing procedures could be completed. The repairs were mandatory and an emergency. All repairs were completed on December 8, 2020.
On December 7, 2020 the Town entered into contacted Biggs Construction from Lacrosse, Virginia. The firm was selected because of its immediate availability, familiarity with the Town’s system and close proximity to the Town of Blackstone.
- Public Utilities: Water, Sewer and Gas Maintenance and Repair (91063)
- Construction, Sewer and Storm Drain (91345)
- Maintenance and Repair, Sewer and Storm Drain (Including Removal) (91381)
Award: 12/10/20 9:04 AM Emergency sewer line repair awarded to Biggs Construction